SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Solo->The Tire Rack SCCA ProSolo National Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProSolo Single Course Changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
National Staff
National Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProSolo Single Course Changes
    Posted: July.15.2008 at 5:21pm

The last posting by Cindy Jansen regarding changes in the scoring method for single course format ProSolo events was done at my request to get the word out as soon as possible. Unfortunately this was being done while we were all traveling, so it was brief by necessity.

Once I got back in the office, I got wrapped up in a multitude of things that had backlogged from being gone for over two weeks. Therefore, I wanted to take this opportunity to explain the reasons behind the announced mid-season change on scoring, as well as announce a few other supporting changes. By the way, a revised version of the 2008 ProSolo Rules will be posted on the SCCA web site on Wednesday, July 16. What will appear here is in summary form.

From its beginnings in the early 80's, ProSolo has operated differently than traditional Solo events from the perspective of the program's objectives, strategies, rule making process, and operational authority. It is not the sexy part of the rules for most folks, but I often suggest people take a look at Sections 20.0 through 20.5 so they can better appreciate the differences to the traditional Solo program. This autonomy from the sometimes cumbersome rules/procedures changing process at work in the rest of the Solo program has been used sparingly over the years and generally has been appreciated by most ProSolo regulars as being a way to not let a bad situation continue longer than absolutley necessary. Of course, where one wants to draw the line on such things varies by the person and their individual circumstances, that is, will the change help or hurt me.

Anyway, this brings me to the changes to the procedures for the single course format ProSolo events. First of all, two things should be kept in mind; this format (only 14 months old) is still in its developmental stage AND there are only two events on the 2008 calendar. This does not allow for much testing of the concept or equipment in real life conditions.

After the 2008 Newport event, it was clear to us (me) that the change we made form the 2007 scoring method was not the best choice to appropriately replicate the "feel" of ProSolo in this alternate format. Also, the grid plan was not accomplishing what was desired. Yes, the pace was more hurried than a Tour for instance, but it was frantic and complicated without really once again replicating the feel of a ProSolo. So back to the workbench we went for our next try in NY.

This has resulted in three changes:

1. The previously announced change to scoring the best two runs during class competition, which will minimize the competitor cautiousness of the last method, while keeping the competition interesting through all the Heats. 

2. When cars leave their grid spot, they will make all three runs before returning to the grid for Impound or the second driver. Approximately 6 to 10 cars will be in the Stage Lane, so there will be about 3 to 5 minutes between runs. This will simplify grid and the traffic flow, while still allowing time for tire pressure checks and a bit of reflection about the last run and the competition.

3. Grid order will be the same as a traditional ProSolo where in Heats 2 and 3 the fastest drivers will be at the front. This is simply an anti-sandbagging tactic used for years.

Again, the full revised rules will be posted on July 16th. 

These unusual mid-season changes are being made during this developmental period so we can finalize the operating procedures for this new format, thereby allowing us to make the appropriate software and equipment updates during the off season so a package can be put together for Regions to host local single course ProSolo events in 2009. This has been a part of our strategies and goals for a number of years; to provide participation opportunities that would create a farm system for the ProSolo National Series. 

While I would fully admit that we have come up short at times on these and other goals, but they have always provide the motivation for us to try to move the program to the next level. Until the Toledo ProSolo last week, we have not shown the outward operational progress we would like, which has stalled us from going further on some of these goals. However, with the success of that event, we are now positioned to move the program toward its potential.

We hope that you understand that these changes are part of that overall effort.

Thanks for your continued support of ProSolo.

H.

Sponsored Links

amaptn2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amaptn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July.16.2008 at 6:43am

Thank You Howard, (And Cindy ,Sandy, Darrin, Clancy)

Mid Season rules changes are not easy, but in this case I think you're doing the right thing(s).

See you at Seneca,

Mike Potocki

KrazedKanary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazedKanary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July.17.2008 at 11:30pm
I for one applaude the intestinal fortitude to make these kinds of changes for the advancement of the program. We debated long and hard if we would attend Seneca because of the previous scoring system, now we are glad we signed up. See y'all there!
2007 Solstice GXP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic